I. Lazareva1, Cand. Sci. (Geol.), Associate Prof., E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
GEOCHEMISTRY AND COLOR OF NATURAL FLUORITES: EFFICIENCY AND SIMPLICITY
OF PRACTICAL APPLICATION IN MINERALOGICAL AND GEOCHEMICAL STUDIES
1Institute of Geology, Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv 90 Vasylkivska Str., Kyiv, 03022 Ukraine
Research on fluorite indicator properties primarily focuses on the formation processes and geological setting of ore occurrences in order to predict fluorspar deposits. Recent papers have suggested new data on fluorite properties (REE distribution, isotopic ratios, color and luminescent properties and even morphology) indicative of mineralization. These properties differ in information value, which limits the range of their application.
The objective of the paper was to assess the indicator properties of color and distribution for the most common trace elements in accessory fluorites (Sr, Y) in order to enhance the methodology of extensive mineralogical research. Our study focused on a large set of data on trace-element composition and the color of fluorite grains extracted from various Suschano-Perzhansk zone (SPZ) metasomatites and the Korosten pluton (KP) granitoids of the Ukrainian shield that have spatial association and show genetic affinity. The following tasks have been accomplished: (1) fluorite grain typing based on geochemical characteristics; (2) fluorite grain typing based on color; (3) geochemical modeling of the trace element composition of metasomatic fluorite aimed at confirming the results of the geochemical typing; (4) identifying fluorite-zircon paragenesis in different mineral types of metasomatites; (5) determining the Y relationship for the fluorite-zircon paragenetic pairs and their formation temperatures; (6) analyzing the information value of the fluorite geochemical properties and color. Our research yielded data on the geochemical types of fluorite suggesting the multiphase formation of the SPZ metasomatites. There was also identified the type of fluorite relating to the major metasomatic phase (by the trace element ratios and the age estimation). Results of geochemical typing were confirmed by geochemical modeling of the trace element composition of fluorites that are genetically related to the KP magmatogene-hydrothermal system. Geochemical modeling allowed us to suggest selection criteria for the fluorite-zircon paragenetic pairs; to determine linear dependence for the selected pairs ln — ; to test the temperature dependence by solving the inverse equation. The minimally sufficient set of the constitutive elements of fluorite under study may be reduced to the most typical trace elements (Sr, Y) characterized by simplicity of analytical assessment and genetic information value which is potentially equal to that of REE. Observations on the selected groups of fluorite color features generally confirm the results of geochemical typing.
Keywords: fluorite, geochemical type, metasomatites, geochemical modeling, indicator properties.
1. Andreev A.V., (1992). Modern opportunities of general lead method in geochronological research. Geol. zhurn., 6, 125–130. (In Russian).
2. Vyinar O.N., Razumeeva N.N., (1972). Suschano-Perzhansk zone hydrothermal mineralization generation features. Mineralogich. sb. Lvovsk. un-ta, 2, 26, 197-206. (In Russian).
3. Glikin A.E., (2004). Polymineral-metasomatitecrystalgenesis. Moscow, Izd-vo RFFI, 300 p. (In Russian).
4. Gluhov Yu.V., (1998). Gd3+ X-ray luminescence spectre as an indicator of hydrothermal crystallization of fluorite in carbonate sediments of Pai-Hoi mechanisms. Tr. In-ta geologii Komi nauchnogo tsentra UrO RAN. Syiktyivkarskiy mineralogicheskiy sbornik, Syiktyivkar,98, 27, 110–124. (In Russian).
5. Gorelikova N.V., Bortnikov N.S. et al., (2010). Rare metals in minerals as indicators of mineralogenetic conditions. Modern mineralogy from theory to practice: XI congress of Russian mineralogical society and Fedorovskaya session, Sankt-Peterburg, Russia, 169-171. (In Russian).
6. Gusev A.I., (2013). Geochemistry of Altai fluorite. The success of modern science, 11, 103-107. (In Russian).
7. Krasilschikova O.A., Taraschan A.N., Platonov A.N., (1986). Color and luminescence of natural fluorite. Kiev, Naukova dumka, 224. (In Russian).
8. Kupriyanova I.I., Belyatskiy B.V. et al., (2004). Rolethe minerals typomorphismin interpretation of isotopic data (at example of Voznesensk ore district). Petrologiya, 12, 5, 530-546. (In Russian).
9. Kupriyanova I.I., Kukushkina O.A., Shpanov E.P., Skorobogatova N.V., (2008). Typomorphism of minerals and geological colections as beryl deposits material models. Typomorphic minerals and associations of minerals – indicators of natural and technogenic deposits scale and ore quality: Materials of All-Russian scientific conference annual assembly RMO, Ekaterinburg, Russia (16-18 Oct. 2008), 60-63. (In Russian).
10. Lazareva I.I., Shnyukov S.E., Andreev O.V., Morozenko V.R., (2006). Metasomatite zircons, monocytes and fluorites trace elements composition of Suschano-Perzhanska zone (north-western part of Ukrainian shield). Geohimiya ta rudoutvorennya, 24, 95-102. (In Ukrainian).
11. Lupashko T.N., Taraschan A.N., Ilchenko E.A., Grechanovskaya E.E., Derskiy L.S., Vishnevskiy A.A., (2013). U-fluorite – indicator of ore components differentiation of Perzhansk phenacite-gentgelvin field (Ukrainian shield). Yushkinskie chteniya, InGeo Komi NTs Uro RAN, Syiktyivkar, 228-231. (In Russian).
12. Morgunov K.G., Byikova V.G., (2009). Thermodynamic modeling of REE distribution between fluorite and ore-forming fluid in western Baikal postmagmatic deposits. Geology and geophysics, 50, 7, 778-785. (In Russian).
13. Morozov M.V., (1998). Trace elements and optical active fluorite centers as genetic indicators (at example of greisen tungsten and tin deposits): abstract cand. Sci. (Geol.-Min.): 27.03.1998. Sankt-Peterburg, 22. (In Russian).
14. Popov M.P., (2014). Geologic-mineralogical features of rare metal mineralization in eastern exocontact of Adui massive within Ural emerald band: scientific monography. Ural. gos. Gornyiy un-t. Ekaterinburg: Izd-vo UGGU, 136. (In Russian).
15. Fayziev A.R., (1989). Yttrium in fluorites from endogenic deposits of USSR (Baikal, Primorye, north-eastern USSR, Yakutia etc.). Geochemistry, 7, 1037-1042. (In Russian).
16. Fayziev A.R. (1989). The elements-impurities as indicators of the genesis of fluorite. Dushanbe, Izd-vo Devashtich, 185 p. (In Russian).
17. Shnyukov S.E., (2002). Geochemical models of magmatic systems and Earth`s crust evolution: potential source of petrophysical and mineralization information. Geophysical joutnal, 24, 6, 201-219. (In Russian).
18. Shnyukov S.E., (2001). Yttrium distribution in apatite-zircon paragenesises: dependence from temperature and its application ability in magmatic processes geochemical modeling. Crystalogenesis and mineralogy (memory of Prof. G.G. Lemmlein): international conference materials (Sankt-Peterburg, Russia, 17-21 Sept. 2001), 352. (In Russian).
19. Shnyukov S.E., Andreev A.V., Belousova E.A., Savenok S.P., (2002). Microquantity matter XRF analysis in geochemistry of accessory minerals: research opportunities in correlation with local analytical methods. Mineral. zhurn., 1, 80-95. (In Russian).
20. Shnyukov S.E., Lazareva I.I., (2004). Model evaluation of trace elements composition of metasomatic through accessory minerals connected to magmatic complexes. Zb. nauk. prats UkrDGRI, 2, 116-122. (In Ukrainian).
21. Scherbak N.P., Artemenko G.V., Lesnaya I.M., Ponomarenko A.N., Shumlyanskij L.V., (2008). Early Precambrian Ukrainian shield geochronology. Proterozoic. Kiev, Nauk. Dumka, 239 p. (In Russian).
22. Harrison T.M., Watson E.B., (1984). The behavior of apatite during crustal anatexis: equilibrium and kinetic considerations. Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta, 8, 7, 1467-147.
23. Hartman P., (1974). On the crystal habit of fluorite. Minerogenezis. Sofiya: Izd-vo Blg. AN, 111-117.
24. Montel J.M., (1993). A model for monazite/melt equilibrium and application to the generation of granitic magmas. Chemical Geology, 110, 127-145.
25. Salle R., Moritz R., Fontignie D., (2000). Fluorite 87Sr/86Sr and REE constraints on fluid-melt relation, crystallization time span and bulk DSr of evolved high-silica granites. Tabuleiro granites, Santa Catarina, Brazil. Chemū Geol., 164, 81–92.
26. Schonenberger J., Kohler J., Markl G., (2008). REE systematics of fluorides, calcite and siderite in peralkaline plutonic rocks from the Gardar Province, South Greenland. Chem. Geol., 247, 16–35.
27. Watson E.B., Harrison T.M., (1983). Zircon saturation revisited: temperature and composition effects in a variety of crustal magma types. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 64, 295-304.