I. Lazareva1, Cand. Sci. (Geol.), Assoc. Prof., E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
THE INFORMATION CONTENT OF METASOMATIC ZIRCONS
BY SOME PHYSICAL, MORPHOLOGICAL AND GEOCHEMICAL PROPERTIES
1 Institute of Geology, Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv, 90 Vasylkivska Str., Kyiv, 03022 Ukraine
Typomorfic properties of zircons are widely applied to identify the formation type of intrusive complexes, metamorphic and metasomatic formations, petrofundal reconstructions of material sources of sedimentary basins. There are two possible ways of implementation of the above mentioned possibilities: application of evolutional crystalomorphic analysis method and use of geochemical indicator properties. But information content of the received evaluations probably differs. The purpose of the work was to find out the level of reliability of geochemical, morphological and some physical properties which are easily identified visually and are often applied during mass routine research, in the example of a large block of trace elements data, morphology, colour and transparency of zircon grains extracted from various metasomatites of Suschano-Perzhansk zone (SPZ) and granites of Korosten Pluton (KP) (Ukrainian shield), which is spatially and genetically connected with them. The following tasks have been solved: (1) geochemical typing of zircons; (2) morphological typing of zircons; (3) colour and transparency typing of zircons; (4) trace elements composition of zircons modeling in order to confirm results of previous typing; (5) information content level of geochemical, morphologic and physical properties estimation. As a result, geochemical types of zircons which reflect multiphase formation of SPZ metasomatites were received and the type of zircons which belongs to the main phase of metasomatite formation was identified (by the trace elements ratios and age estimations). Results of geochemical typing were confirmed by geochemical modeling of trace elements composition of zircons which is genetically connected with magmatogenic-hydrothermal system of KP. An attempt of the correlation between visually observed properties and geochemical typing didn't give desirable results. Grain typing primarily by morphology and possibly by colour can be applied at the preparatory stages of metasomatites research as on a statistical level the correlation is observed.
Key Words: zircon, geochemical type, metasomatites, morphology of crystals, indicator properties.
1. Andreev A.V., (1992). Modern opportunities of general lead method in geochronological research. – Geol. zhurn., 6. Ð. 125–130. (In Russian).
2. Dragomiretskiy A.V., Uzun S.N., (1999). Bukinskiy monocytic Ukrainian shield massive zircons crystalomorfic features. – Mineral. zb., 49, 2. – Ð. 135–138. (In Russian).
3. Krasnobaev A.A., (1986). Zircon as a geological processes indicator. – Moscow, Nauka. – 134 p. (In Russian).
4. Lazareva I.I., Shnyukov S.E., Andreev O.V., Morozenko V.R., (2006). Metasomatite zircons, monocytes and fluorites trace elements composition of Suschano-Perzhanska zone (north-western part of Ukrainian shield). – Geohimiya ta rudoutvorennya, 24. – Ð. 95-102. (In Ukrainian).
5. Machevariani M.M., Alekseev V.I., (2012). Titanium-zircon thermometry at the example of rare-metal granites of Far East. "Chteniya pamyati P.N. Chirvinskogo". Problemyi mineralogii, petrografii i metallogenii: XIII nauch. konf. 31 jan.-1 feb. – Perm. – Ð. 134-137 (In Russian).
6. Solovev A.V., Rozhkova D.V., Akinin V.V., Hisamutdinova A.I., (2011). Eocene terrigenous material deposits of western Kamchatka drift origins based on results of fragmentary zircons study. Sovremennoe sostoyanie nauk o Zemle: Mater. mezhdunar. konf., posvyaschennoy pamyati V.E. Haina. – Moscow, 1-4 febr. – Ð. 1771-1775. (In Russian).
7. Taraschan A.N., (1978). Luminescence of minerals: Monography. – Kiev, Nauk. Dumka. – 296 p. (In Ukrainian).
8. Treyvus E.B., Polehovskiy Yu.S., (2011). New materials about Vishnevy mountains of Ural zircons crystalmorphology and its typomorphism problems. – Vestn. S.-Peterb. un-ta, 7, 1. – Ð. 32–44. (In Russian).
9. Shnyukov S.E., (2001). Accessory through minerals in magmatic processes geochemical modeling. – ZbIrnyk naukovykh prats UkrDGRI, 1-2. – Ð. 41-53. (In Ukrainian).
10. Shnyukov S.E, (2003). Various ores and rocks zircon and apatite geochemical classification: modern stance, application and development perspectives. – Geol. zhurn., 1. – Ð. 99-103. (In Russian).
11. Shnyukov S.E., Andreev A.V., Cheburkin A.K., (1988). Trace elements in coexisting accessory through minerals – metasomatite formation conditions evaluation criteria (mineralogic-geochemical data interpretation principles,
analytical research method). – Kiev, Prepr. / AN USSR, In-t geol.; 88 45. – 50 p. (In Russian).
12. Shnyukov S.E., Andreev A.V., Belousova E.A., Savenok S.P., (2002). Microquantity matter XRF analysis in geochemistry of accessory minerals: research opportunities in correlation with local analytical methods. – Mineral. zhurn., 1. – Ð. 80-95. (In Russian).
13. Shnyukov S., Gatar Y., Andreev A., Gregush Ya., Cheburkin A., Savenok S., (1993). Accessory zircons and apatites from Rohovecka intrusion (Slovakia) petrological analysis of geochemistry. – Geol. zhurn., 1. – Ð. 30-41. (In Russian).
14. Shnyukov S.E., Lazareva I.I., (2004). Model evaluation of trace elements composition of metasomatic through accessory minerals connected to magmatic complexes. – Zb. nauk. prats UkrDGRI, 2. – Ð. 116-122. (In Ukrainian).
15. Shnyukov S.E., Cheburkin A.K., Andreev A.V., (1989). Through accessory minerals geochemistry and its role in endo- and exogenous geological processes research. – Geol. zhurn., 49, 2. – Ð. 107-114. (In Russian).
16. Scherbak N.P., Artemenko G.V., Lesnaya I.M., Ponomarenko A.N., (2005). Early Precambrian Ukrainian shield geochronology. – Kyiv, Nauk. Dumka. – 243 p. (In Russian).
17. Bea F., Fershtater G., Montero P. et al., (2001). Recycling of continental cruut into the mantle as revealed by Kytlym dunite zircons, Ural Mts, Russia. Terra nova, 13, 407–412.
18. Belousova E.A., Griffin W.L., O'Reilly S.Y., Fisher N.I., (2002). Igneous zircon: trace tlelent composition as an indicator of source rock type. Contrib. – Mineral. Petrol., 143. – Ð. 602–622.
19. Belousova E.A. , Griffin W.L., O'Reily S.Y., (2006). Zircon crystal morphology, trace element signatures and Hf isotope composition as a tool for petrogenetic modelling: examples from Eastern Australian granitoids. – Journal of Petrology, 47, 2. – Ð. 329–353.
20. Ferry J.M., Watson E.B., (2007). New thermodynamic models and revised calibrations for the Ti-in-zircon and Zr-in-rutilethermometers. Contrib. – Mineral. Petrol., 154. – Ð. 429–437.
21. Hanchar Eds.J.M., Hoskin P.W.O., (2003). Zircon. – Review in Mineralogy and Geochemistry. – 500 p.
22. Pupin J.P., (1980). Zircon and granite petrology. Contrib. – Mineral. and Petrol., 73, 3. – Ð. 207-220.
23. Watson E.B., Harrison T.M., (1983). Zircon saturation revisited: temperature and composition effects in a variety of crustal magma types. – Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vl, 64. – Ð. 295-304.